munin_ink
    Participant
    @munin_ink

Hey yall. I’m a freshman at the Art Academy of Cincinnati and I’m looking to get an apprenticeship with a local shop. Anywhere within a 45 min drive. If anybodys looking, or knows of a place I could apply, I’d be extremely grateful. ^_^ Thankee!!:D

Outlaw
    Participant
    @outlaw
    munin_ink;46633 wrote:
    Hey yall. I’m a freshman at the Art Academy of Cincinnati and I’m looking to get an apprenticeship with a local shop. Anywhere within a 45 min drive. If anybodys looking, or knows of a place I could apply, I’d be extremely grateful. ^_^ Thankee!!:D

the best way to gain an apprenticeship is to chose your artist, go in and get lots of ink done by him/her…. dont be pushy and give it loads of gob about how good you are and how long you have wanted to become a tattoo artist…
    he will need to get to know you and learn he can trust you, while getting tattood by them then you watch very carefully and learn as much as you can…. nobody and i repeat nobody can just shout out on the forums and land an apprenticeship…. it takes lots of dedication, devotion and passion for the art.

until that point then keep drawing your ass off and build up a portfolio of good work, nothing scribbled and everything precisely finished to your highest standards.

(i wrote this not as an unlicensed discussion, but as to how somebody interested in persuing a career in the tattoo world goes about it the proper way)

outlaw

S.Neill
    Participant
    @s-neill

Honestly, my business has picked up enough that I’m looking for an apprentice…and I’ve turned every single one down who has come in here to ask. They bring in some half ass drawings, with their cocky attitude, don’t have a penny to get ink done, and have no interest in even seeing my work. They just want to land a gig that pays real good.

Here’s a little secret few people know. Most apprentices don’t get paid. Period. About half of them have to pay the artist anywhere from $1,500.00 on the low side to as much as $10,000.00 on the high side, then they half to work, sometimes as much as five years for free before they ever get the opportunity to tattoo for money.

Still want to be an apprentice?

BIKERinBLACK77
    Participant
    @bikerinblack77

My piercing apprenticeship set me back about $2,000.
    Luckily, I’m getting ready to get cut free after a year, which is coming in perfect time since I’m heading to college so hopefully I can get on with a shop near my school.

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk

First off, ignore Jaypsan. He’s a spammy bastard.

Second off, I’m in Cincinnati at DAAP, and I’m going to art school for the express purpose of getting my art up to tattoo artist levels so *I* can get apprenticed.

So, speaking as someone on the same path as you, in the same city, and I’m guessing quite a bit older and more road damaged, let me give you some advice: cool it on the apprenticeship thing for now man. Art school will eat up your life. When class is in session, I generally have 40-60 hours of homework every week, and that’s not including driving time to and from UC, and actual class time. I’ve heard the Art Academy ain’t that much easier.

Plus, let’s face it, if you’re still starting out, your art most likely ain’t good enough to BE a tattoo artist yet, at least not a good one at a reputable shop. Personally, I’d advise you to wait until you graduate and spend your time in school building a KICK ASS portfolio and DeviantArt.

But, if you’re insistent on following through with this without the proper prep work, I heard through the grapevine that Beelistic has an artist looking for an apprentice…good luck though. Those mother fuckers may actually be mother fuckers but they’re damn good at what they do.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

munin_ink
    Participant
    @munin_ink

Good advice. And yes, day 1 I had mass homework in all classes. Ick. But neccessary. And yes, I am serious. Yall might be right though, I might want to build more on my portfolio. Grr… All things worth the time must be waited on. Unfortunately. Damn lack of instant gratification!!! >.< LMAO

Thanks for it all. ^_^

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk

While we’re on advice, do not get any of the tattoos in your album marked “Tattoos I’ll probably get”. Only vapid skank co-eds get kanji or that cliché celtic knot.

Your tattoos are your bona fides–they show what you, as a prospective tattoo artist, are interested in, who you are, and what you’re hoping to accomplish. Having kanji and fucking flash work shows you put no thought whatsoever into your ink, that you don’t care, and that it’s a status symbol rather than a passion for you.

What you need to do is sit your ass down, find out what you’re passionate about, and base your tattoos around that. Me for instance–I’ve got a life long obsession with skulls, zombies, and a life philosophy based around the idea of Metallica (if not the band itself). Most of my tattoos reflect that. Got a zombie squid, a skull gauntlet, and am looking to get a steam-punk inspired cyborg squid, and am going to sleeve my left arm out with a zombie T-Rex.

They’re not serious subject matters…but they show the kind of art I appreciate, and it’s reflected in the tattoos I draw.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

S.Neill
    Participant
    @s-neill

Its more than that Munin. There was a point to what I wrote. I own and run a tattoo studio. I perform about 60-70% of all tattoos that come out of this studio. I have an artist who is damn good and I’m glad to have him, but I AM looking for an apprentice.

Here’s the deal though. I’m not going to spend the next year to 5 years apprenticing someone I don’t respect. I’m not going to put all that work into someone I don’t know, and I’m not going to dedicate myself to someone who doesn’t deserve it.

Quality of art is only a quarter of the battle. A couple of the guys who’ve come in here asking for a spot were good artists. Damn good. But I didn’t like their attitude. They acted like they deserved the spot, and that I had an obligation to give it to them.

I don’t. My knowledge was hard earned over twenty years. No, I’m not the best there is, I’m not famous, but I know my art, and if someone like you wants what I know you have to give me a damn good reason to give it to you.

Consider this. I haven’t met an artist yet that pays an apprentice, yet they are expected to be at work sometimes up to 80 hours a week. Mopping floors, cleaning tubes and tips, setting up stations breaking stations down, tracing and tracing and tracing, and never earning a single penny for your work. How are you going to support a family like that? How are you going to pay your bills?

There are only two types of people who can do that. First are 17-19 year old kids who still live with their parents, and second are people who have a spouse with a damn good job and willing to let you do that.
    Apprenticeships don’t grow on trees. You have to be willing to make that sacrifice.

But you can’t just walk into a studio and get it. That’s my biggest point. I have to WANT to apprentice you, and so there are only two ways that is going to happen. Your going to become my best and most loyal friend, or you are going to pay me damn good for it. You heard Biker. His piercing apprenticeship cost him 2 grand. A tattoo apprenticeship is much more involved, and you’ll end up paying twice that just so you can get the opportunity.

But a tattooist isn’t going to give you the chance just because you shuck out 4 grand. You see you have to get him to the point where he’s willing to even charge you.

People look at apprenticing like its a job application and interview. You go in slap down some pictures, the tattooist is impressed, bam! You’ve got the gig.

It doesn’t work that way.

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk

Before I say what I’m gonna say Neil man, I just want to preface saying it by saying you obviously know your shit, have a life time of experience over me, and are generally pretty cool. I like reading your posts.

With that said…you do realize not all tattoo apprenticeships work that way right?

One of my best friends growing up, Nick, got apprenticed right out of high school and got paid minimum wage by the shop he worked for (Heavens) until he got to be working on his own. The artist who’s made noise about apprenticing me when I graduate has one right this now, and he’s a paid employee–doesn’t make half what my man’s artists do, but he scrapes by and the only payment he’s given my man is intense physical labor and devotion to his art.

What I’ve been told by Troy (my artist), Nick, and the other artists in their circles I sometimes hang out with is that every tattoo artist treats apprenticeship differently. Some go your route and make them work 80 hours a week just to learn, others have to drop a couple grand for the privilege. I’ve also been told that the region affects it too, that artists on the coasts tend to slave labory, unlike in the middle of the country, but I take that particular factoid with a grain of salt since Nick has got a midwest is the best attitude.

I don’t deny the artist has got to want you–the main reason Troy’s has showed interest in me is that we have a similar taste in art, we get along well, I’ve known him for six years, and, oh yeah, not including my own work, my sister’s (which is more extensive than my own), or those I paid for for my friends, I’ve brought him, by his estimates, $15 grand worth of referrals since the time I got my first piece.

But the you-ought-to-be-grateful-you-little-shit-atitiude you have (which, as many years as you’ve been doing this is warranted, so I ain’t knocking you) ain’t universal. I’ve seen it work out in a different manner far too many times.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Outlaw
    Participant
    @outlaw

im in the UK and 3 yrs ago a local artist that i was talking to told me he will be charging £10,000 to the person he decides to apprentice, but they have to be the right person before he will make the commitment…. he has just started to apprentice some

Izarrasink
    Participant
    @izarrasink

We dont pay our apprentice, we chose him because he was TRUSTWORTHY first and foremost, a wicked artist and also does as he’s asked. He is showing that he is a great asset to us, i can leave him in the shop knowing that he will be able to deal with whomever walks in the door. He now does the bulk of our design work which the client gets charged for, if i use his design he gets paid for it. He also gets the perks of free piercings and tattoos. He is treated with respect, (as most people should be) he’s not our lacky but he does know what his duties are. He is also grateful for the opportunity he’s been given. He’s been pulled up once so far and has learnt from it……just my 2 cents worth

S.Neill
    Participant
    @s-neill
    KnightHawk;46732 wrote:
    Before I say what I’m gonna say Neil man, I just want to preface saying it by saying you obviously know your shit, have a life time of experience over me, and are generally pretty cool. I like reading your posts.

With that said…you do realize not all tattoo apprenticeships work that way right?

One of my best friends growing up, Nick, got apprenticed right out of high school and got paid minimum wage by the shop he worked for (Heavens) until he got to be working on his own. The artist who’s made noise about apprenticing me when I graduate has one right this now, and he’s a paid employee–doesn’t make half what my man’s artists do, but he scrapes by and the only payment he’s given my man is intense physical labor and devotion to his art.

What I’ve been told by Troy (my artist), Nick, and the other artists in their circles I sometimes hang out with is that every tattoo artist treats apprenticeship differently. Some go your route and make them work 80 hours a week just to learn, others have to drop a couple grand for the privilege. I’ve also been told that the region affects it too, that artists on the coasts tend to slave labory, unlike in the middle of the country, but I take that particular factoid with a grain of salt since Nick has got a midwest is the best attitude.

I don’t deny the artist has got to want you–the main reason Troy’s has showed interest in me is that we have a similar taste in art, we get along well, I’ve known him for six years, and, oh yeah, not including my own work, my sister’s (which is more extensive than my own), or those I paid for for my friends, I’ve brought him, by his estimates, $15 grand worth of referrals since the time I got my first piece.

But the you-ought-to-be-grateful-you-little-shit-atitiude you have (which, as many years as you’ve been doing this is warranted, so I ain’t knocking you) ain’t universal. I’ve seen it work out in a different manner far too many times.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Knighthawk,

What you say is true. But it isn’t the standard, its the exception. Like Outlaw said, 10 grand in european pounds is substantial. That’s like, $15,000 american. I’ve seen in 20 years at least 50 apprentices, and of those 50 I’ve only seen 3 get treated like you describe. Its rare.

I’ve always been against treating an apprentice like slave labor…and I still am to a point. But I own a studio now, and now that I own my studio, I realize how much money goes into running one. We are in the middle of no where. On the highway, but on the highway between two little podunk towns…and it isn’t a major highway either. I’m not in Ft. Worth or Dallas, or Houston, where tattoo studios are bringing in 10 grand a week. My studio is lucky to clear an average of $2,000.00 a week before taxes, before salary, and before utilities, and before advertising, so I understand the monetary reason behind it. Minimum wage isn’t much but its too much for me. That’s why there are only three people working here, me, my wife, and my second artist Mike.

I believe, honestly that if I have someone with at least a degree of artistic talent that I can take him off the street and turn him into a tattooist in less than a year. Will he be the best? No. He’ll learn just as I have and he’ll make mistakes and he’ll get better…but why would I do that? What incentive is in it for me? What reason is there for me to put that kind of work into someone?

If I was in Houston or Dallas or Fort Worth, then I can see the incentive. They clear 10 grand a week. They always need an artist. I clear enough to support two artists. So what is in it for me to put that into someone else?

I can do it. I’m confident in that. If they have artistic talent, if they have desire, I can turn them into a full fledged tattooist in a year or less. But I ask you again…why?

Is he, or she willing to work that year for free? Good incentive for me. If they can give me 40 hours a week at the new $7.25 minimum wage then they are giving me $15,080 dollars. Now that, my friend is an incentive. Are they working for free? No, they are working for the skills to become a tattooist and stand on their own.

Would they rather pay me $15,000.00? Well, then, I suppose I could pay them $7.25 an hour…they would in effect be paying their own salary. Same thing. Its an incentive. But tell me, what other incentive do I have…really?

I’m the one with the skill and the knowledge, along with thousands of other artists. We earned it that way, working for free to learn the skills that have me owning my own studio now. 20 years ago while I was scrubbing toilets and tracing stars I told myself that someday I would own my own studio. Here I am. I own it.

So how bad does the apprentice want it, and why should I give it to him any other way than the way I recieved it?

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi

You know I had this discussion with a friend last night over a beer. He was moaning about the fact he cannot get a tattoo apprenticeship in Leeds or surrounding areas.

To be fair he is a talented artist and spent many years working in the graphic design but he stated he wanted a change.

I advised him he wasn’t hungry enough for it.

As has been said I told him he would be unpaid and have to do some really menial work cleaning, errands etc and on top of that he would have to do something that he would find even harder –

Listen to the artist. I love my mate but he simply has to ‘do it his way’.

Or he would have to pay the artist to train him but even then his attitude may be his undoing.

In every role I have ever worked I have met some ppl who are brilliant and able to listen and several who have medium ability but egos the size of a house and will not listen worth a damn. These are the ones I refuse to train in fraud investigations – I will not waste my time because likely at somepoint they will balls up and first question will be who was your trainer? Like a tattoo artist I would not want my name hanging off their lousy work.

I pointed out to him that although he can draw why should a stranger train him up for future direct competition?

On top of that why would he employ somebody who although has ability would struggle to follow the basics?

We then got onto the sore issue of my apprenticeship offer – which I politely turned down.

The sum of it was my mate is a way better artist and he couldn’t understand why the artist offered me ‘to spend some time in the shop, help him clean the place and greet customers, look at my artwork and get me practicing by doing free hand and tracing’ (all unpaid), yet refused him.

I said it was down to 2 things;

Attitude – I met this tattoo artist through my former step-father. He is very old school and expects ppl to be polite and to be respectful of their elders. I was always this and took an interest in his art and him as a person and he helped me a lot with my thesis.

The second thing was I earned his respect not demanded it.

His son needed coaching in lessons at school i would spend 2-3 hours a week coaching him in English, History, and Religious Studies.

The usual teaching rate is around £45 p/h but this guy had shown me the kindness of 3 interviews that really helped me out so i coached his son for a year (he was a great student once we got into it). I did this for free as I really believe a kind act deserves another.

He offered me free ink – as I advised him I wasn’t up for any new ink and my tastes were very different from the style he liked to do so no big deal.

So I asked my mate would he give up a min of 156 hours for free? He was like hell no.

I said so how can he be expected to spend a year working for free upto 50 hours a week to make it as a tattoo artist??

Then I pointed out to be a good tattoo artist takes around 5 years – which is why I turned down the offer I simply am not hungry enough to be an artist.

Yes it is gruelling but I didn’t complain when it took me 22 exams and 2 years of training on very basic pay doing all the shite work they could throw at me to become a senior investigator I am now.

Take Care
    Matthew

Izarrasink
    Participant
    @izarrasink

just off the beaten track here a wee bit, many years ago i decided i wanted to be a signwriter, i did a lot of door knocking with doors slammed in my face everywhere i went, i got really sick of it and told one guy i would be at his workshop first thing monday morning to work for free, he just grumbled and walked away. I was there waiting for him in the morning, i did a year of unpaid work until he finally thought i was worthy of an apprenticeship…and this is just signwriting, i wanted to do it so badly i moved miles to a different town, split up with my boyfriend and changed my whole lifestyle, i did a 5 year apprenticeship, then ran my own business…i got there because i slogged my guts out. The point of this is if you want something bad enough… and go the right way about it, anything is possible. I think my attitude towards apprentices in tattooing is a little bit different as i get sick to death of the holier than thou attitude that some tattooist have, i had one in my studio the other day that thought he was god, i wanted to get him the fuck out of my studio as fast as i could, he was just being nosey, not friendly….and quite honestly ruined my damn day!!! If i ever get an ego….please shoot me!!!!

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Sorry to hear that Izz 🙁

Just look on the brightside at least with your nice attitude you will get a lot of repeat custom!

New Zealand and Oz are on my places to visit before I die list so my maybe forced to drag myself (kicking and screaming of course :D) in for a quality tattoo.

Take Care
    Matthew

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.