CruisingComet
    Participant
    @cruisingcomet

I know this is going to sound like I’m a wimp… but I’m curious to know if modern day tattooing is as painful as it was say 20+ years ago?

I keep hearing people talking about “Pain” when having tattoo’s.. It wasn’t like that in my day, you pretended it didn’t hurt as you had to look tough in front of everyone! I know modern tattoo’s have a lot more detail in them than the old school type of the past, but is it really as bad as people keep saying?

I was wondering since I had most of mine done over 25yrs ago, if the technology of the needles / equipment has improved? maybe some of the needles are finer these days? I know the outline on mine are pretty thick and most tattooing i see these days the outlining is thinner, I’ve looked at some work being carried out on uTube and even the guns look different to the gear that was used on me? probably a stupid question but I’m interested to know if anyone can give me their opinion?

I’m a little nervous (as you can probably tell) as I’m booked in for a large cover up in less than a week (Tues) and TBH I’m a little concerned with regards how I’m gonna handle the discomfort, all my others I had done in my teens and I handled them fine, even on my chest. I couldn’t get enough of it back then, but I was a lot younger!

I’m now in my forties, in addition to that I have a couple of quite serious autoimmune diseases, and I do feel pain a whole lot more these days than I used to 😮

I would be interested to hear what others out there think anyway? 😀

S.Neill
    Participant
    @s-neill

Tattoos hurt less today than they did 20 years ago, the machines are better, the needles are better, and the way they are made is better, the styles are better and the artists…for the most part, are better. Depends on your artist, but it won’t be as bad as you think.

CruisingComet
    Participant
    @cruisingcomet
    S.Neill;47017 wrote:
    Tattoos hurt less today than they did 20 years ago, the machines are better, the needles are better, and the way they are made is better, the styles are better and the artists…for the most part, are better. Depends on your artist, but it won’t be as bad as you think.

Thanks for that S. Neil that’s put my mind at ease at great deal.

I’ve not logged in to the forum in several days, good to hear from you again!

S.Neill
    Participant
    @s-neill
    CruisingComet;47018 wrote:
    Thanks for that S. Neil that’s put my mind at ease at great deal.

I’ve not logged in to the forum in several days, good to hear from you again!

No Problem.

Really, everything is better. I started tattooing 20 years ago and the quality of stuff today compared to when I first started is amazing.

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi

Whilst writing my doctorate I had to examine the development of tattooing equipment and technique from several cultures from ancient times through to modern day.

The last 15-20 years has seen a revolution in tattooing equipment and the needles are way finer than the barbed poles of the 50’s and 60’s.

It still hurts but I would reckon it hurts less than the earlier types because they are much finer and faster machines.

Hope that helps

Take Care
    Matthew

CruisingComet
    Participant
    @cruisingcomet

Cheers guys… kinda looking forward to it now 😀

Butterfly
    Participant
    @butterfly-2

you will be fine 😀

CruisingComet
    Participant
    @cruisingcomet
    Butterfly_Kisses;47058 wrote:
    you will be fine 😀

Thanks Butterfly 😎

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk
    CruisingComet;47013 wrote:
    I keep hearing people talking about “Pain” when having tattoo’s.. It wasn’t like that in my day, you pretended it didn’t hurt as you had to look tough in front of everyone! I know modern tattoo’s have a lot more detail in them than the old school type of the past, but is it really as bad as people keep saying?

Well, others covered the machine questions better than I could, but I do have an idea about people talking about the pain. See, tattoos are alot more socially acceptable than they were back in the day–you got vapid sorority chicks getting tramps stamps, kanji, and occasionally sexy back pieces, and office managers who get body suits to rebel against corporate culture without, you know, actually rebelling against corporate culture.

It’s not longer us big, long haired, motorcycle jacket wearing assholes getting ink to prove what badasses we are, and once you get past that diamond hard core of crazy, it stops being so bad to talk about the pain.

One thing I can tell you for damn sure–here on the forums, I’ll admit that my wrist piece hurt so bad that had my ex wife not been sitting there mocking me (“Gonna cry KH, gonna cry like a little bitch?”), I probably WOULD have cried like a little bitch…but, run into me on the street, and I’ll straight up tell you I didn’t feel a damn thing.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Cody_McE
    Participant
    @cody_mce

The better the artist the less the pain in most cases =] Some artist are a lot more light handed then others. It does always depend on the individual receiving the tattoo and their tolerance for pain.

S.Neill
    Participant
    @s-neill
    KnightHawk;47065 wrote:
    It’s not longer us big, long haired, motorcycle jacket wearing assholes getting ink to prove what badasses we are, and once you get past that diamond hard core of crazy, it stops being so bad to talk about the pain.

One thing I can tell you for damn sure–here on the forums, I’ll admit that my wrist piece hurt so bad that had my ex wife not been sitting there mocking me (“Gonna cry KH, gonna cry like a little bitch?”), I probably WOULD have cried like a little bitch…but, run into me on the street, and I’ll straight up tell you I didn’t feel a damn thing.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Now THAT is damn funny!!!!:D

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.