southaz
    @

so, ive been tattooing and piercing for 7 years. I used to own my own shop, and i also used to work for many different artists. now, my buddie’s boss, who ive known for several years, has never owned, managed, or worked in a tattoo shop. (he is not an artist, has never been involved in a studio aside from getting a tattoo, of which he has only 2.) the town we live in is a touristy old west type of place in southern cali. so business is never really “slow,” thanks to those tourists.

now, here are what most shops are doing/ have been doing over the last few years:
    -artists have been buying all their own supplies and equiptment, with the sole exception of the universal paper towel, used by all (bathrooms, window cleaning, napkins, and rolls for the artists.)
    the artists give a percentage of their earnings to the shop, most commonly 40%, since the artists cover most of their own supplies, and keep 60% of their earnings for those supplies and their own expenses.

as for piercings, normally we do 50-50, because the shop pays for the jewelry, and the piercer performs the service. (and lets face it, jewelry is cheap, .28 cents wholesale per belly ring nose ring, etc, and we charge 40 bucks a hole, come on!)

now,my friend, he has it in his mind that the artists should still cover all their own supplies, buy their own jewelry and piercing supplies, and only keep 40% or their earnings, while the shop gets 60%

any one else think im nuts?

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi

I do not think you are nuts I think he is being greedy which is killing the goose that lays the golden eggs.

When the decent artists and piercers leave he will end up with a whole lot of nothing as an income.

Fat profit often = bad business.

Take Care
    Matthew

Butterfly
    Participant
    @butterfly-2

i don’t know much about this topic but he does sound like he is being greedy :rolleyes:

flying eyeball tattoo
    Participant
    @flying-eyeball-tattoo

The only way I’d consider that a fair deal is if the shop was a very well established high volume, upper tier studio, where artists are making a living off the name of the studio, or the owner instead of themselves. I doubt somehow that’s the case here though. If it’s a shop like my own, where we still actually have to “work” for a living, 60% just to have the privelage of renting space is greedy. he should at least provide supplies for that hefty cut.

Izarrasink
    Participant
    @izarrasink

Matthew has summed it up in a nutshell. Greed gets you nowhere very quickly….he’ll learn but only when its too late

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.