CruisingComet
    Participant
    @cruisingcomet

I’m thinking already about this next stage of cover up, Its on the side of my lower leg. (I need to get it covered as it’s an ex girlfriends name in the scroll from way back in 84)

I’m not entirely sure what to go with but I do like this “Soul Searching” design and was wondering what you think about how successful this would be as a cover up? I know some may find it distasteful, but artistically I like it.

I like the idea of the tattoo being black and grey with the only bit of colour being the lamp. I love the lamp idea and it having a yellow glow as the reaper comes through the mist, and the mist around the lamp being slightly illuminated by a yellow haze.

I’m guessing B&G prob wont work, and it will need to be coloured? I may be wrong but I think It would cover up OK? Any Suggestions or ideas, or if you just hate it maybe?

2mzmvxg.jpg

53sd4k.jpg

Butterfly
    Participant
    @butterfly-2

im not actually sure so im just guessing here :rolleyes:
    your old tattoos look ( to me ) faded enough to do the tattoo in black and gray !

even though i only personally like positive tattoos that design is real cool ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    is it done by the same artist as the koi ?

ArniVidar
    @arnividar

First off, I think that’s one awesome concept for a tattoo. I selfishly hope it’ll be useful as a coverup, so that I may see it in ink ๐Ÿ˜€

As for the B/G and yellow, that’s exactly how I would picture it myself. Death and the river of life all being dark and moody and eerie, it would entirely fit as B/G. A lantern’s yellow glow would also make perfect sense, although personally I’d choose a cold blue light rather than a warm yellow one.. but that’s just my own interpretation of the ‘mood’ of the art. The same goes for the ‘flame’ surrounding the reaper.

CruisingComet
    Participant
    @cruisingcomet
    Butterfly_Kisses;48809 wrote:
    even though i only personally like positive tattoos that design is real cool ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    is it done by the same artist as the koi ?

Thanks Butterfly… I know what you mean, it’s a strange subject and I have to admit, I’m not a fan of reaper tattoo’s but I just really liked this design.

No, It’s not by the same artist that did my Koi, it’s one I found online while browsing. I think its the boat and the lantern that makes it more interesting over your average reaper, my other half is not happy about it and I understand it’s not to every bodys taste, don’t even know if it’ll work, but I will print it off and take it with me Tuesday when I go back to get more done on the dragon koi ๐Ÿ˜Ž

BTW those tattoo’s on my legs still have some strong colouring, especially that love heart, so will have to wait and see what the artist says I guess, thanks again for your input – always valued! ๐Ÿ™‚

CruisingComet
    Participant
    @cruisingcomet
    ArniVidar;48818 wrote:
    First off, I think that’s one awesome concept for a tattoo. I selfishly hope it’ll be useful as a coverup, so that I may see it in ink ๐Ÿ˜€

As for the B/G and yellow, that’s exactly how I would picture it myself. Death and the river of life all being dark and moody and eerie, it would entirely fit as B/G. A lantern’s yellow glow would also make perfect sense, although personally I’d choose a cold blue light rather than a warm yellow one.. but that’s just my own interpretation of the ‘mood’ of the art. The same goes for the ‘flame’ surrounding the reaper.

Hi There ArniVidar

Thanks for your feedback, glad you liked the concept. I did wonder if it was the right kind of design for me but it is as you say very “Eerie” and I never even thought of the river of life, so thanks for that!

it’s great getting feedback from people, as I’m really after some kick ass designs this time around. When I was younger the “Old School” stuff was so basic, and the stuff I had back then wasn’t very macho looking ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

CruisingComet
    Participant
    @cruisingcomet

By the way…

I was thinking of also having some nice lettering saying “Soul Searching” probably beneath it, in a font similar to this lettering, it would only be small, but in proportion to the tattoo.

I’m not sure if this would detract from the design or add to it really, any thoughts? ๐Ÿ˜Ž

2pq3kgj.jpg

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

Hi

First off when people say to me reaper tattoos I think of many of the cartoonish styles that have crept in to tattooing – almost as if we are trying to make light of the fact we are mortal and I call them the ‘whistling in the dark tattoos’ ๐Ÿ™‚

This design really captures the concept that death whilst unpleasant is a natural part of the cycle and is not something that we should shy away from.

I really like the atmosphere this tattoo brings that shows that death is a patient searcher. I do not think it is morbid at all.

The bit I would possibly change in the design is where the necklace is hanging is to have an empty hour glass hanging or near empty showing that it is an inevitable matter.

The scripted font would look nice and soul searching is a great idea.

You could always have ‘The grains of time keep slipping by’ across the top.

Colour wise you may need to go for some very deep blacks or purples to cover over the older ink.

Very excited to see this piece come to life.

Take Care
    Matthew

CruisingComet
    Participant
    @cruisingcomet

Thanks for that Sherav, interesting thought about the hourglass ๐Ÿ˜Ž You have some good ideas mate!

I’m guessing a pocket watch hanging, could also indicate time running out, something for me to think about anyway. Thanks Guys ๐Ÿ˜Ž

ArniVidar
    @arnividar

Although perhaps not particularly pertinent to this post, this talk of the reaper and colors has reminded me of the opening lines in an (so far) awesome book that I’m reading; Markus Zusak’s The Book Thief.
    I have pondered if I should make this opening into a tattoo somehow, because it resonates with me in some odd way. Like Sherav says, death is inevitable and I find it fruitless to worry over it.

I will now indulge in a tiny bit of plagiarism to share the opening lines of the book because I think they are awesome and are at least slightly on topic to this thread.

Quote:
    Part 1: DEATH AND CHOCOLATE

First the colors.
    Then the humans.
    That’s usually how I see things.
    Or at least, how I try.

***HERE IS A SMALL FACT ***
    You are going to die.

I am in all truthfulness attempting to be cheerful about this whole topic, though most people find themselves hindered in believing me, no matter my protestations. Please, trust me. I most definitely can be cheerful. I can be amiable. Agreeable. Affable. And that’s only the A’s. Just don’t ask me to be nice. Nice has nothing to do with me.

***Reaction to the ***
    AFOREMENTIONED fact
    Does this worry you?
    I urge you–don’t be afraid.
    I’m nothing if not fair.

–Of course, an introduction.

A beginning.

Where are my manners?

I could introduce myself properly, but it’s not really necessary. You will know me well enough and soon enough, depending on a diverse range of variables. It suffices to say that at some point in time, I will be standing over you, as genially as possible. Your soul will be in my arms. A color will be perched on my shoulder. I will carry you gently away.

At that moment, you will be lying there (I rarely find people standing up). You will be caked in your own body. There might be a discovery; a scream will dribble down the air. The only sound I’ll hear after that will be my own breathing, and the sound of the smell, of my footsteps.

The question is, what color will everything be at that moment when I come for you? What will the sky be saying?

Personally, I like a chocolate-colored sky. Dark, dark chocolate. People say it suits me. I do, however, try to enjoy every color I see–the whole spectrum. A billion or so flavors, none of them quite the same, and a sky to slowly suck on. It takes the edge off the stress. It helps me relax.

Sherav
    Participant
    @sherav

That looks a very interesting book the intro has me intrigued.

Is it on general sale in say borders on or the net?

Take Care
    Matthew

ArniVidar
    @arnividar

I should expect that it’s very widely available, and probably in every bookstore, since they’ve translated it into Icelandic and I doubt we ever bother with translating anything unless it’s already become famous ‘on the outside’. I know you can find it at Amazon UK at least.

And yes, the intro grabbed me and was the sole reason why I bought the book. It’s a WWII book at heart, but I like the concept of the narrator being Death himself. I might have to buy it in English though before I continue with it, because I really prefer to read good books in English.

Edit: And WTF.. I’ve never seen BBcoded URL generator do this… that’s pretty cool.

Joker1
    Participant
    @joker1

That looks like a pretty sweet book.

In terms of the tattoo design, even if it won’t work as a cover-up, you should get it done elsewhere anyway! Very cool.

ArniVidar
    @arnividar
    Joker1;48963 wrote:
    even if it won’t work as a cover-up, you should get it done elsewhere anyway! Very cool.

Agreed! /me wants to see it in ink ๐Ÿ™‚

CruisingComet
    Participant
    @cruisingcomet

I did take the “Soul Searching” design along today to show to the guys at the studio, but in fairness they were very busy and didn’t show a great deal of interest – especially as a cover up.

I’ve not given up though, and will mention it again in the near future, getting my forearms covered is priority (guessing I have at least another 3-4 sittings) and then it’s onto my leg and hopefully this design ๐Ÿ˜Ž

But yes, I may well even have it elsewhere if it’s not an option on my left leg. My right leg is bare so that’s another possible option ๐Ÿ˜€

Joker1
    Participant
    @joker1

I added some colours to it which I thought were pretty cool

Picture1.png

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.