0hmanda
    Participant
    @0hmanda

So, I got my first tattoo yesterday, and love it. In getting it, however, I have realized that I really want more, and I want my next tattoo to be a back piece. I think I want it from the top center to the bottom right of my back, and I know I want color. I want to get an abstract sort of sun in the top by my neck, and that’s about where my certainty about the design ends. I think I want it to be floral, but I’m kind of iffy about floral tattoos because they can be so generic, and I know I want something mixed in as well. I really want to make sure that this one ends up being stunning, so I’m starting this thread to ask advice on a few points about it.

First thing’s first, how is the pain of back tattoos in comparison to a rib tattoo? Obviously, this one will end up being a lot longer, but I’m just curious about this one.

Next, what’s the best way to start looking for an artist and narrowing down the artist that I want? Should I do it based on the artist’s “specialty”, or the general talent of the artist? I chose the artist for my first tattoo based on her portfolio and the fact that it was a pretty damn simple design, so once I saw her work in person, I was pretty sure she would give me what I was looking for.

Finally, does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for design? Or any suggestions as to where to get inspiration for this?

As a disclaimer, this tattoo is just a concept now. I’m simply starting to do my research now, so that I can make sure this ends up being really well done.

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

Where do you live and how far are you willing to travel?

0hmanda
    Participant
    @0hmanda

Maryland. And I’d prefer to avoid a plane flight, but as long as it’s not outside the country, I’d be willing to go. I could always make it a vacation.

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

I have always liked Halo’s work Tattoos by Halo But with him recently being on Ink Masters he may be hard to book, But then again maybe not

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

Halo does great work and he’s a decent guy. He was a bit of a dickhead on the last episode, but that’s a reality show for you.

0hmanda
    Participant
    @0hmanda

I guess I kind of live under a rock, because I’ve never even heard of Ink Masters. I’ve heard of Halo, but I hadn’t looked into his work until today, but I love how well done and colorful his work is. I looked into booking an appointment, and he’s booked out for this year, which isn’t a big deal for me, since I want to wait until at least next year to get this tattoo anyway. I imagine he picks and chooses his clients though, and he’s specified a type of artwork he wants to work in next year (luckily, I think my tattoo falls into that category). I’m also a big fan of freehand work, for whatever reason. Thanks for pointing me in this direction!

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

@0hmanda 140080 wrote:

I’m also a big fan of freehand work.

Most of my tattoos were drawn on. Now I think about a new tattoo every time I see a sharpie marker!

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

Most upper level tattooist are picky on what they do. One way to get on their list is to give them artistic freedom on your tattoo. Good luck

Dawk
    Participant
    @dawk

Halo does amazing work. I can only imaging it would cost a small fortune to get him to do the large back piece, no doubt its worth it. Wish I could afford to get him to work on me.
    As far as helping you with design… Its hard to do when you don’t know the person, and what you interests are. I like the idea of abstract sun. I’m an artist so I am drawn to tats that look like paintings when the tattoo artist can make it look like a brush stroke or watercolor, it just blows me away. And I m really into the idea of a tattoo withno real deep mmeaning, just because it looks good. All my work had a deeper meaning or it “represents” someone in my life. I want my next tat to be abstract.
    Good luck on your back piece

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

@Dawk 140090 wrote:

Halo does amazing work. I can only imaging it would cost a small fortune to get him to do the large back piece, no doubt its worth it. Wish I could afford to get him to work on me.

Sometimes surprisingly top notch work does not cost anymore than your standard street shop. I got a piece by Josh Woods after his Ink Masters season and he was only $130 an hour and was very fast it was a very reasonable for the tattoo.

0hmanda
    Participant
    @0hmanda

What I really want to do is just give the artist an idea of what I want, and just kind of let him do what he wants with it. I think the best tattoos come out of giving them artistic freedom. Obviously, I could be entirely wrong, but that’s what I think. I believe Halo is around $150/hr, which isn’t bad considering the quality of the art.

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

@0hmanda 140092 wrote:

What I really want to do is just give the artist an idea of what I want, and just kind of let him do what he wants with it. I think the best tattoos come out of giving them artistic freedom. Obviously, I could be entirely wrong, but that’s what I think. I believe Halo is around $150/hr, which isn’t bad considering the quality of the art.

That’s how I got my best pieces.

0hmanda
    Participant
    @0hmanda

@Sam-I-Am 140093 wrote:

That’s how I got my best pieces.

What I struggle with is trying to figure out how the hell to describe what I want.

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

@0hmanda 140095 wrote:

What I struggle with is trying to figure out how the hell to describe what I want.

When you connect with the right artist, they’ll know what you’re talking about.

0hmanda
    Participant
    @0hmanda

@Sam-I-Am 140100 wrote:

When you connect with the right artist, they’ll know what you’re talking about.

I’m seriously hoping it works like that. I have what I think is a really cool idea, and I know a good artist can make it better.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.