Dawk
Participant
@dawk

Neon pixie with flowers close up Fairy Tattoo
This is a link to the type of color I want.

I’m in the process of getting a half sleeve but colors are not as bright as I wanted them. I know the magazines Photoshop images but I am wondering if what I want is realistic. My friend is doing the work and yes he’s a pro with a shop. I told him I wanted it very bright but so far it looks a bit pastel. He says it takes several sessions to get the color built up so maybe I’m not patient enough. Are these special colors that most people don’t carry?
Another question if in fact these are special colors he needs to order can he go over top of what we got to brighten them up? Will it lose the detail? The way it looks now it a bit streaky with lots of different shades of the same color in an area. There is an area of pink, yellow, orange, and purple they all have varying shades, if you go over say the pink with a super bright pink do you lose all the detail of the more pastel pinks? Will some of it show through?
I am a mural artist I don’t know how tattoo ink works but I know every medium has its ways and I know I have asked a question that is somewhat hard to answer without seeing what I’m talking about but if you could just answer …in general it does or does not work blah blah blah. I know no one can make any promises.

peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose

@Dawk 140015 wrote:

Neon pixie with flowers close up Fairy Tattoo
This is a link to the type of color I want.

I’m in the process of getting a half sleeve but colors are not as bright as I wanted them. I know the magazines Photoshop images but I am wondering if what I want is realistic. My friend is doing the work and yes he’s a pro with a shop. I told him I wanted it very bright but so far it looks a bit pastel. He says it takes several sessions to get the color built up so maybe I’m not patient enough. Are these special colors that most people don’t carry?
Another question if in fact these are special colors he needs to order can he go over top of what we got to brighten them up? Will it lose the detail? The way it looks now it a bit streaky with lots of different shades of the same color in an area. There is an area of pink, yellow, orange, and purple they all have varying shades, if you go over say the pink with a super bright pink do you lose all the detail of the more pastel pinks? Will some of it show through?
I am a mural artist I don’t know how tattoo ink works but I know every medium has its ways and I know I have asked a question that is somewhat hard to answer without seeing what I’m talking about but if you could just answer …in general it does or does not work blah blah blah. I know no one can make any promises.

You will never get colour to pop as bright as when its first done 🙂

It will always look slightly duller than when fresh 🙂

Sam-I-Am
Participant
@sam-i-am

The artist I work with started using Fusion brand ink. Their colors are about as bright as you can find.

Remember then, keep your tattoos moisturized and keep them out of the sun.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

They make plenty of different bright inks and yes it may take several passes to get the bright results you want.
Post up a pic of what yours looks like now. BTW the one in the link that you posted is horribly done.

Dawk
Participant
@dawk

20140521_183309_zps67b3c238.jpg

Dawk
Participant
@dawk

My pic in the last post is my tat. This is just a few hours after our last session. We have had 2 sessions. About 6 hours. You will notice there is no black. At first I didn’t want black then he talked me into it then he talked me back out of it. Now I think it needs at least some very fine
black. But this discussion isn’t so much about that as the brightness of the color. Is it possible to get brighter colors or am I just wishing. He’s a good friend in fact he’s my ex. We didn’t have any drama kind of break up. But I’m not sure what to tell him as far as the color. Should I say ” hey butthead order me some crazy bright colors” or let bit ho cause what I’m dreaming of don’t exist is reality. Buttwhea, yeah my first first example was just to show the kind of color I want the tat itself is not so hot.

It you are wondering what my tat is its a willow tree with fantasy colors. He says we have 2 more session s to go and some detail finer lining that will make it more defined.

Dawk
Participant
@dawk

[IMG]http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag275/DawkDlange/
dd276bce36c60c3fd1302ad5fc06d058_zpsb7767ced.jpg" />

Here’s another image showing the kind of colors I am looking for

poxphobia
Participant
@poxphobia

Is he a professional tattoo artist who has been properly trained and who works in a legit shop?
Here’s the thing; Tattoos HEAL. The first one you posted is completely fresh. You grow a couple layers of skin above the ink. If you’re very very pale, the colors may stay fresher. I’m personally pale as a ghost and hardly ever see the sun, so mine have stayed pretty damn bright. That second pic you posted has most likely been edited quite a bit.
Now for some color theory; Making colors pop is about contrast. Pink on white isn’t a big contrast. Pink against BLACK however, is. The best color tattoos involved a hella lot of black. Not necessarily big black parts, but darker parts and good color theory is vital. I have a green flower in my arm that looks nuclear, it’s very bright. It’s also on an area with thin skin, has black lines and red details. (red and green are complimentary colors)
All your colors follow the same spectrum, they aren’t in contrast with each other, and complimentary colors hardly meet.

Now, some truly amazing artists out there are doing spectacular color work. The key to many of these tattoos is simplicity. Say, New school and cartoon tattoos. Not too many colors, not a lot of chaos, but some exceptional shading and contrast work. Yours is messy, with streaks of dark/light, and sorry; It’s never gonna look like the tattoos you posted. Sorry. And most pictures posted of those really bright tattoos, the tattoo is fresh, the light is perfect, the tattoo has been moisturized +++. It’s like photoshop. And sometimes photoshop is indeed used. The first pic? A horrible tattoo, but a fresh tattoo with simple colors.

Dawk
Participant
@dawk

Yes he is a professional and has his own shop. As far as how well he’s trained I can answer that for sure.
Just for clarification the first picture I posted of the fairy is something I found online. The second photo I posted is my picture. I know the lighting isn’t the best. And this pic was taken just hours after the second session. I don’t know if that counts as “fresh”. The third picture of the ocean scene is one I found online too.
So when you say the second picture was Photoshoped I think you are talking about the ocean scene? Right?
I understand what your saying about color contrast. Unfortunately THIS streaky thing is what I got. Not really what I wanted. In fact one of the images I showed him was a tree that had flat colors in it.
I am a light olive skin tone definitely not super pale.
OK so now what can I do now. Is it possible to go over an entire area with a bright color and mute the streaks? It defiantly need some black too hut he talked me out of it saying it wouldn’t look good. Idk what to do or say to this guy cause he has gone away from what I wanted. What do I tell him to get him back on track or at least make it look better.

G

poxphobia
Participant
@poxphobia

Having his own shop doesn’t make him a professional. To be honest, it doesn’t look like very good work to me. It’s not horrible, but clearly you won’t get much of a contrast with dark pink and purple mixing like that, plus the yellow and orange.. The places with a pink/blue contrast look the brightest.
And yeah, with second photo I meant the one of the ocean scene.
Not being pale also means that when a tattoo heals on you, it just won’t be super bright.
Honestly I’d seek out a VERY talented tattoo artist, someone who actually does bright, colorful tattoos, and ask their advice. It’s hard to tell just from a pic, but the colors look pretty light and pastel, so going over it with a brighter color really shouldn’t be too hard. But yeah, I’d go to an expert, not your ex.

peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose

I agree with the others, have his own shop doesn’t mean shit in terms of skill. Your tattoo to me looks poorly done.

Next time do some research, the other photo you show is heavily photoshopped. No tattoo will ever look like that!

Dawk
Participant
@dawk

He’s a professional in that he is very knowledgeable about being clean but he’s not all that talented. I looked at his portfolio before I went to him and he is hit or miss on his art thats why I picked something I though was simple. Sounds like I will need to spend a fortune to fix this problem now.
It was his idea that we do this as a trade. I did 4 large murals for some tat work. Maybe not the best trade?! Hope this can be fixed. I’m not that unhappy with it I think it can be salvaged. I’m just not sure he can do it. Looks like I’ve got myself in a predicament. I have seen this one guys work whos local to me and is effing amazing. I will track him down. Thanks for helping me

poxphobia
Participant
@poxphobia

Check out Peters list. Those are amazing artists and gives you a clue on what to look for.
If you picked an artist KNOWING he was hit or miss and not all that talented.. Sorry but you made your own bed.
Knowledge about hygiene is a minimum requirement, and just because they talk a lot and make it seem like they know a lot, doesn’t mean they do!
You need to go to an artist who you TRUST, not someone who is hit or miss. When you have such high requirements for brightness etc, it’s obviously not a very easy design and needs to be done by a professional.

Sam-I-Am
Participant
@sam-i-am

I would like to see it with some black outlines. It still wouldn’t look very good though.

I like the Willow tree idea.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

This tattoo has been photoshoped that is obvious. Yours should be brighter if those pics are from when it is fresh. I do like how the roots look but that white will fade so very quickly. Please seek a better tattooist to fix what is done.

dd276bce36c60c3fd1302ad5fc06d058_zpsb7767ced.jpg

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.