SquishyBarb
    Participant
    @squishybarb

Hey guys, I’m looking for some advice on my fourth tattoo..

The artist I go to currently fixed my back tattoo I had done impulsively by another artist when I was 18. He also does/has done my fiance’s and fiance’s friends tattoos/cover-ups and they look great, so I decided to have him fix mine.. I was really pleased with his fix, so I asked him to do something else about a month later.. It looked really good the night it was done. It was a little blurry a few days later, but I decided to wait until I knew it was healed before I got upset. The blurriness didn’t go away.. and now three months later, I know it has blown out.. I have two large tattoos and two smaller ones, none of which have ever blown out. I take care of my tattoos well and the blowout is driving me nuts.

He has told me that he cannot fix it because I don’t have enough skin over my collarbone. If says he tries to fix it the same thing will happen.. So I’m confused whether or not it can really be fixed.. If I had it covered, would that new tattoo blow out as well? It has a lot of meaning to me so I would like to be able to salvage it if I can… ๐Ÿ™

photo1_zps86168416.jpg
    tattoo he fixed..

photo_zps11ba4f3d.png
    blown out. ๐Ÿ™

Maybe he’s just better at thick lines and bold tattoos.. but I’m having a hard time agreeing that there’s nothing that can be done, because “I’m too skinny now.” I thought blowouts were due to how deep the artist put the ink in, not the thickness of the skin. I really like this artist and I felt comfortable with him, but if I can have this fixed I’ll definitely find someone who’s comfortable doing it. If someone could educate me or tell me if it’s fixable or able to be covered I would appreciate it!

ArniVidar
    @arnividar

I don’t know about the skinny part, but obviously the only way to fix a blowout is to make all the lines at least as thick as the visible size of the blowouts. The question is, do you really want your very thin lined tattoo to be all bold and fat with very little distinction and everything blending together?

Mistress_Of_Pain
    Participant
    @mistress_of_pain

Honestly it doesn’t look TERRIBLE but I can see how it would bother you. I’m not sure what could be done to fix it unfortunately.

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

To fix it you would have to thicken the lines which might make it look chunky. Maybe a cover up would suit it better.

SquishyBarb
    Participant
    @squishybarb

I was actually talking to a friend who mentioned touching up the lines and coloring it in, but I’m pretty sure that would change what the molecules represent and would defeat the entire meaning behind it.

If I had to get it covered and put somewhere else I would, even though I have absolutely no idea what I would cover it with.

The thing that’s most concerning is that he said my skin is too thin there to try and fix or cover, so anything I do will end up blowing out. I’ve seen many people with tattoos over/on/near their collarbones that look great and blowout free.. lol.

I guess there’s basically no way of knowing unless I try, correct?

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

@SquishyBarb 130318 wrote:

The thing that’s most concerning is that he said my skin is too thin there to try and fix or cover, so anything I do will end up blowing out.

I think it’s second opinion time. Check out another tattoo artist.

jerryatrophy
    Participant
    @jerryatrophy

@Sam-I-Am 130319 wrote:

I think it’s second opinion time. Check out another tattoo artist.

Quoted for truth. Find a more competent artist.

ArniVidar
    @arnividar

@SquishyBarb 130318 wrote:

The thing that’s most concerning is that he said my skin is too thin there to try and fix or cover, so anything I do will end up blowing out. I’ve seen many people with tattoos over/on/near their collarbones that look great and blowout free.. lol.

I guess there’s basically no way of knowing unless I try, correct?

Fingers aren’t exactly the fattest places on the human body…
    finger-tattoos-ideas.jpg

Go find a better tattooist.

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

He might not have too much experience with different kinds of skin and texture. Find a competent artist who has worked for a while, and check if they’ve done similar work in that area, preferably on someone about your own size. The fat under you skin does indeed have something to do with how to tattoo you, I’ve several times heard artists be very happy when they had a customer who just put on weight.. Haha, for some reason they apparently find them better to tattoo, as the skin has just been stretched. Where as people who are very much out of shape (not necessarily overweight, just out of shape), will be harder to tattoo. I’m not an tattoo artist so I don’t know exactly, just what I hear around the shop ๐Ÿ™‚
    A competent, experienced artist will be aware of such differences, and know how to work with them! ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ve seen beautiful chestpieces and collarbone tattoos with very thin lines, and without blow-outs, so it should be completely possible to fix without a new tattoo having a blowout.
    Go see a different artist, ask their opinion. Someone will be able to fix it.
    Most of the worst blown out lines seem to be on the same side, so one idea could be to go for a bit of a 3d look on it, do some shading, maybe dot-shading could work nicely. I have no clue on molecules though, so I don’t know if that would change the meaning of it..
    Hope it works out! ๐Ÿ™‚

SquishyBarb
    Participant
    @squishybarb

Thanks for all of the input everyone.. I went into a well known shop earlier today, and they told me it was totally fixable. However, I don’t want it to end up being a big blob.. so now I have to decide whether not coloring it in will do more harm than good, or if I should just relocate the tattoo, or cover it and re-incorporate it into the fix. I wasn’t planning on getting any other tattoos right now, but I think it would drive me crazy if I were to just leave it as it is.

Thank you all again, though!

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

he is chatting bollocks to cover his own arse ๐Ÿ˜›

Get a different artist, cover that one up with something awesome and move the molecule one somewhere else ๐Ÿ™‚

SquishyBarb
    Participant
    @squishybarb

I’m surely thinking about it. I just don’t know what to cover it up with.. lol :confused: .. grr.

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

The world is your oyster ๐Ÿ™‚

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

@SquishyBarb 130344 wrote:

I’m surely thinking about it. I just don’t know what to cover it up with.. lol :confused: .. grr.

Get it covered with this
    tumblr_mpik8iY0Lh1sxl6oao1_1280.png

Oh BTW Barb you don’t look squishy to me.

SquishyBarb
    Participant
    @squishybarb

@buttwheat 130354 wrote:

Get it covered with this
    tumblr_mpik8iY0Lh1sxl6oao1_1280.png

Oh BTW Barb you don’t look squishy to me.

Oh man, hahaha. That’s great. I would like to try and fix it first.. I’ll cover it if all else fails. Now I just have to find out if shading in a molecule will change it.. If anybody else is checking out this thread and knows where I could possibly find that information, that would be fantastic! … Because right now I’m considering going back to my old high school and asking my chem teacher.. lol.

..Oh, and I’m not really “squishy” anymore. My fiance gave me that name when he first met me.. down 30-something pounds, hence my tattoo artist saying I’m “too skinny” to fix my tattoo… :confused: Squish just stuck, I like it. ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.